WHAT ARE THE SIGNS THAT YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS MAY BE HAUNTED? -- Written by Terry
August 19, 2014
How do you know if your home or business is haunted? True hauntings are actually quite rare. Unlike what you see on the television or at the movies, determining whether you have a haunting can be very difficult without a complete and thorough investigation being done. Sometimes it will take more than one visit by a team to make any determinations. Even then, you may not get the answers you seek. The strange noises or other phenomena you are experiencing could be from perfectly natural causes. The only constant in paranormal investigations is that no one "really" knows what a haunting is, what causes it, or why it begins in the first place. Of course, everyone has a theory as to what it is and why it is and even why it starts. Nevertheless, like many things in this field, they are just theories. However, there are signs that you can look at to see if you "may" have a haunting. We will go over those below.
There is no one answer to what can indicate a haunting because there are so many ranges of activity. It could be just one set of footsteps or one door continually opening and closing by itself all the way up to full body apparitions and physical contact. Here is a list of things that "could,” and remember, I said "could," indicate your home or business is haunted.
1. Unexplained noises - some subtle and others can be quite loud. These can include, footsteps, knocks, banging or rapping, scratching sounds or sounds of items being dropped or moved across the floor.
2. Doors, cabinets, or cupboards opening and closing on their own; You may not see it happening at the time it occurs but you will hear it happening or see it after the fact with a door that you knew was open or closed. There could be furniture moved, such as kitchen chairs or stools. You normally will not see it happening, but you will know when they have been moved.
3. Lights turning on or off by themselves or electronic items such as televisions or radios turning on and off. Maybe a kitchen appliance turning on when no one is even in the kitchen. Once again, you may not visually see these things or hear these things happening, but you normally know what is turned on and off in your home.
4. You may experience the feeling of being watched. This in itself is common for people to feel, however, it could have a paranormal source if it occurs more frequently in certain areas of the house or at certain times during the day.
5. Unexplained Shadows - you may see fleeting or darting shapes and shadows. Normally you see these out of the corner of your eyes in your peripheral sight. Sometimes these shadows will be in a definite human form and at others be smaller or just dark masses. These shadows normally do not stay in one place very long so, if you see them they are normally already moving out of your sight.
6. The most annoying aspect of a haunting may be what is called the DOPler effect. This is the Disappearing Object Phenomenon or DOP. This occurs when common items around the home or office disappear and then reappear in sometimes a completely different location. A prime example to use would be your keys. You place them on a table by the door every-night when you come home. The next morning you go to get them and they are gone. You search high and low but cannot find them anywhere or if you do find them, they are in a completely different room that you did not even go into the night before. Some have reported that items can disappear for weeks at a time and when they do reappear, they do so in an obvious location that would not have not been looked at in the search.
The above indications are basic indications. Of course, more serious events or phenomena can indicate a haunting. These more serious or stronger indications are listed below.
7. The term Psycho-kinetic Phenomena is used to describe the movement of things that you see. It is one thing to hear a door slam or know that you turned that light off in the kitchen but it is an entirely different thing to actually see a door open or close by itself or see a light go on and off while you are standing there. Children's toys have been reported operating on tier own and this is witnessed as it happens. Some have reported the feeling of someone else sitting on their bed or on the couch next to them. These things all fall under the Psycho-kinetic Phenomena.
8. Unexplained Cold or Hot spots is a classic reported symptom of a haunting. A sudden drop in temperature in your immediate area (or increase) could be a sign of a haunting when there is no discernible cause for such an occurrence.
9. Voices, Cries or whispers are other classic indications of hauntings. Sometimes you will actually hear muffled voices, whispering, crying, or even distinct voices saying your name or speaking to you. Maybe you will hear music playing when there is nothing to cause it. These types of indications are even more profound if more than one person in the home or business hears this phenomenon at the same time.
10. Unexplained smells (pleasant or unpleasant) that seem to have no source. The smell of perfume or after-shave that you do not have in your home. You may smell cigarette, pipe, or cigar smoke and no one in your family on in the home or business smokes. These smells will usually come and go quickly with no apparent cause.
11. The feeling of being touched is a very strong indicator. You may feel someone just brush past you when there is no one there. The feel of your hair being touched or caressed; a hand on your shoulder or a "gentle" nudge, poke, or push. These can all be strong indicators of a haunting.
Lastly, there are rare but extreme instances or occurrences, which indicate a home, or business is haunted. These phenomenon’s are very rare but when they occur, it is a very strong indicator that you are experiencing a haunting. Some of the indicators below are also called poltergeist phenomena.
12. Moving or levitating objects - pictures flying off the wall, glasses or dishware being thrown out of their places in the cupboards, even furniture moving or sliding across the floor.
13. Physical Assaults - Scratches, slaps, or hard shoves. these can actually cause physical harm to a person and should be taken very seriously.
14. The physical infestation of and spirit or other entity known as an apparition. These apparitions can take on many forms from animal to human to mists. They are transparent normally and disappear quickly. Some can even be seen as solid as a living person can but it will then disappear as you watch it or into another room.
All of the items above could be indicators of a haunted location. However, remember that the human mind is a powerful and funny thing at times. Always attempt to find a perfectly natural cause, which all of these items above have, before deciding that you need to move because you are living in a haunted house. We realize that the more extreme the indicator, the harder it is to find a reasonable explanation or natural cause. Moreover, of course we are here to help you try to find those natural causes.
If you feel that your home or business is haunted, contact us and let us help you through this.